The field of accounting is a wide-ranging one with a plethora of job types and career paths, many of which will have a requirement of one kind or another of accounting certification. In the sections below we will quickly review some of the more common accounting related career paths and the accounting certifications that are typically associated with them.
CPA – Certified Public Accountant
A certified public accountant is someone who has passed the Uniform CPA exam offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and has also completed the educational and certification exam requirements for the state in which the reside and work. A CPA has generally completed a 4 year degree from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related. Most of the following certifications will have similar educational requirements, but vary in the state and organization requirements for certification.
CIA – Certified Internal Auditor
This certification is offered by the Institute of Internal Auditors and is offered in 17 languages and recognized in 95 different countries. The exam is offered in four parts covering the areas of business analysis and information technology, management skills, governance and how it relates to the internal audit process, and the process for conducting an internal audit.
CFE – Certified Fraud Examiner
This certification is awarded to an accounting specialist that is recognized by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. These individuals will typically work for organizations and businesses in helping to deter fraud and to assist in its detection. The CFE exam will cover four areas, that of financial transactions, fraud investigation, ethics, and how fraud issues are handled and prosecuted under the law.
CISA – Certified Information Systems Auditor
This certification is offered by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association or (ISACA). This certification is awarded to those who demonstrate a proficiency in information systems auditing and system security. This certification will become more and more valuable as the information and organization handles is received, created, and stored electronically.
ABV – Accredited in Business Valuation
This accreditation is offered by the AICPA and is for existing Certified Public Accountants who have demonstrated significant understanding and knowledge in the area of business valuation. Successful candidates will have completed 10 business valuation assignments, 75 hours of lifelong classroom learning, and pass the certification exam. The examination is offered in two parts and covers practices, professional standards, regulatory standards, qualitative and quantitative analysis and valuation analysis.
CB – Certified Bookkeeper
This designation is awarded to bookkeeping and accounting professionals that have completed and passed the examination offered by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers. The certification exam for this designation covers the areas of adjusting entries, depreciation, payroll, inventory, error correction, and internal controls. Those who achieve this bookkeeping certification are expected to observe the AIPB code of ethics.
CPP – Certified Payroll Professional
This certification is offered to accounting professionals that meet one of the criteria required by the American Payroll Association. The examination for this certification tests knowledge in all areas of payroll including compliance, paycheck calculation, payroll processes, payroll management, accounting, payroll administration and payroll concepts.
Get More Information
If you’d like to learn more about the training and education required to pursue these certifications you can get started by using the search feature located at the top of this page. If you’d like to learn more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and training that is available, you can do so by clicking through the sidebar links on our main page.
Online Accounting Degrees and Classes
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- MBA - Finance
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Accounting for Managers
- Ph.D. in Management - Accounting
- M.B.A. in Accounting
- And more...