Certified Public Accountants in Alabama are among the best paid professionals in the state. The AlabamaDepartment of Labor reported that the median wage for CPA’s in Alabama was $58,300 in 2012. If you are already an accounting professional in Alabama and are thinking about becoming a CPA or if you are just getting started on your academic career, there are few things you want to take into account before you begin. We’ll cover the things you need know about what your state requires as we take a look at CPA requirements for Alabama below.
Alabama CPA Requirements – What You Need to Know
CPA requirements are going to vary state by state. This means that Alabama like everywhere else will have a combination of professional and state requirements that need to be met before someone can practice as a certified public accountant.
Professional requirements for CPA’s often include:
- Most accounting positions will require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- Most states require 150 semester units of college coursework, which is 30 more than most 4 year degree programs
- Work experience is essential – many state accountancy boards require some previous field related experience before allowing an accountant to apply for a CPA license
- Passing of the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
The State of Alabama requires that all applicants of a CPA license:
- Be a citizen of the United States, be legally in the United States with proper documentation, or have declared their intent to become a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 19 years of age and of good moral character
- Have completed a four year degree from an institution accredited by a regional accreditation board
- Have their degree concentration completed in the area of accounting or an area deemed equivalent by the state accountancy board
To read all of Alabama’s CPA licensing requirements click here.
How to Get Started
If you’re interested in learning more about accounting degrees and bookkeeping careers in Alabama, getting started is easy. Just use the search feature at the top of this page to search for schools near you.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Alabama
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...