Certified Public Accountants in Alabama are among the best paid professionals in the state. The AlabamaDepartment of Labor reported that the median wage for CPA’s in Alabama was $58,300 in 2012. If you are already an accounting professional in Alabama and are thinking about becoming a CPA or if you are just getting started on your academic career, there are few things you want to take into account before you begin. We’ll cover the things you need know about what your state requires as we take a look at CPA requirements for Alabama below.
Alabama CPA Requirements – What You Need to Know
CPA requirements are going to vary state by state. This means that Alabama like everywhere else will have a combination of professional and state requirements that need to be met before someone can practice as a certified public accountant.
Professional requirements for CPA’s often include:
- Most accounting positions will require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- Most states require 150 semester units of college coursework, which is 30 more than most 4 year degree programs
- Work experience is essential – many state accountancy boards require some previous field related experience before allowing an accountant to apply for a CPA license
- Passing of the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
The State of Alabama requires that all applicants of a CPA license:
- Be a citizen of the United States, be legally in the United States with proper documentation, or have declared their intent to become a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 19 years of age and of good moral character
- Have completed a four year degree from an institution accredited by a regional accreditation board
- Have their degree concentration completed in the area of accounting or an area deemed equivalent by the state accountancy board
To read all of Alabama’s CPA licensing requirements click here.
How to Get Started
If you’re interested in learning more about accounting degrees and bookkeeping careers in Alabama, getting started is easy. Just use the search feature at the top of this page to search for schools near you.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Alabama
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Accounting for Managers
- Ph.D. in Management - Accounting
- M.B.A. in Accounting
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting