Our bookkeeper training page is aimed at giving the potential bookkeeping student an idea of what to expect. Whether you’re just thinking about an accounting career or taking that next step towards an advanced degree, it’s important to plan carefully.
The accounting profession is vast and varied with a great number of career paths and options. If you’re interested in earning your accounting degree or going through bookkeeper training to prepare for certification, there’s a few thing you need to know!
Bookkeeper Training – What You Should Already Know
The training that is available for bookkeepers and accountants is immense. But if you’re looking for that entry level bookkeeping position, then it’s probably in your best interest to have completed some basic courses.
Whether the work is done in high school or at a community college, the majority of employers are going to be looking for applicants who have already taken courses in math, economics an English, not to mention some basic accounting classes.
If you already have that bookkeeper job and are interested in getting your bookkeeping certification, then there are a few more requirements you’ll have to complete ahead of time. If you’re interested in learning more about preparing for your bookkeeping certification, then check out our requirements section on the main page.
What You Will Learn in a Bookkeeping Diploma Program
A diploma program for bookkeeper training can usually be completed in three months or less and gives the student an understanding of general accounting principles. While curriculums will vary from institution to institution, these programs will typically prepare graduates for a number of bookkeeping related jobs such as accounts payable/receivable clerk, payroll clerk, billing clerk and many more.
A bookkeeping diploma program will typically include courses in:
- Spreadsheet Applications
- Records Management
- Computerized Accounting
- General Business Courses
How Much Does a Bookkeeping Diploma Program Cost?
Costs will vary greatly depending upon the school and setting you’ve chosen for enrollment. With that said, you can expect the cost of a bookkeeper training program to range from the hundreds of dollars to the thousands.
If you’re taking courses through a local community college, you are likely to be paying by the unit. The costs per unit can vary greatly from state to state and the difference in-state vs. out-of-state tuition can be immense.
What You Will Learn in an Advanced Degree Program
If you decide to pursue an advanced accounting degree (a two or four-year program) the courses you take will get into much more detail and depth than the general accounting courses you’ll find in diploma programs. Any such program will delve far more into accounting and business theories giving the student with more than just general accounting techniques.
Any prospecting accounting student pursuing an advanced degree can expect to take courses in:
- General Accounting
- Financial Accounting
- Tax Principles and Policy
- Business Law
- Corporate Taxes
- Managerial Finance
- International Law and Business
Financial Aid is Available
The cost of pursuing any advanced education or training can make the decision to get started a difficult one. The good news is that there is an abundance of federal assistance programs that can help you finance your bookkeeper training.
A great way to start is by filling out the Free Application for Student Aid or FAFSA. You should also contact the financial aid office of the institution you’d like to attend. They may already have a number of financial aid programs in place
Online vs. Classroom
What if you’re eager to continue your education or pursue a bookkeeping certification, but your busy schedule of work and family make attending classes impossible? If this sounds like you, then you may want to consider taking classes online.
Distance learning gives you the flexibility of taking classes at your convenience from the comfort of your own home or anywhere you have access to an internet connection. Some programs you choose as well as well as some schools you wish to attend may have limited online options. If online classes are an option that’s important to you, you’ll want to be certain your program is available through distance learning before you enroll.
How do I Get Started?
If you think that you’re ready to take the next step in your accounting career or if you’re ready to tackle that bookkeeper certification, there’s much to consider. The first step is finding the right school that with the right program that will fit your busy schedule. That information is just a click away too. You can get started by using the search option at the top of this page. Your future awaits
Online Degrees and Bookkeeping Classes
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting