Certified Public Accountants in California are not only in high demand, but they are also some of the best compensated professionals working in the field of accounting. According to The State of California Employment Development Department the median wage for CPA’s in California was $69,000 in 2012, ranking it 6th among all 50 states. Whether you already have a job in the accounting field in California and are thinking about starting CPA program or if you are just getting started in your educational career, there are few things you will want to look into before you begin. The page below will cover key items for all future CPA licensees as well as some items specific to the state of California that should help you as you pursue your educational goals.
California CPA Requirements – A Quick Review
The demands made on CPA applicants are going to vary from state to state and California is no exception. But before we take a closer look at California CPA requirements, let’s review standard requirements for most Accountants seeking licensure.
Professional requirements for CPA’s will typically demand:
- That all potential licensees have obtained a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- That an applicant has completed 150 semester hours of college undergraduate coursework. This is roughly 25 percent more classroom time than is typically required for completion of a degree
- That an applicant has taken the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Previous work experience is required. Generally all state accountancy boards will require previous experience in the field of accounting to have taken place before one can sit for a CPA license
Effective January 1, 2014, the State of California will require the following of all applicants seeking to be licensed as Certified Public Accountants:
- Completion of the Uniform CPA Examination
- Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree
- Completion of 150 Semester Units
- Completion of 24 Semester Units in Accounting
- Completion of 24 Semester Units in business-related subjects
- Completion of the PETH Exam (an ethics exam offered by CalCPA)
- That the applicant has been fingerprinted by the state
- Completion of one year of general accounting work experience
To read about the state of California’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail click here.
Getting Started is Easy
If you want to find more information on being a CPA in the state of California, then getting started is easy. Just use the search window at the top of this page to learn more about bookkeeping and accounting programs near you!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in California
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Accounting (BS)
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Business Management and Accounting
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Certificate - Business Administration
- Degree - Business Administration
Trade schools in Los Angeles are built on a solid foundation of academic experience, especially Advanced College in South Gate. The founders of Advanced College have 40 years of experience when they opened their own institute of higher learning in 1999, which means Advanced College was student-oriented from day one. Our reputation as a leading vocational nursing & Allied Health school in Los Angeles is well-established, but that is just the beginning. Our expansive South Gate Campus has grown in our time as a school in order to make room for our daily operations. However, our expansion goes beyond the boundaries of our walls.
- Computerized Accounting - Certificate
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)