Certified Public Accountants in California are not only in high demand, but they are also some of the best compensated professionals working in the field of accounting. According to The State of California Employment Development Department the median wage for CPA’s in California was $69,000 in 2012, ranking it 6th among all 50 states. Whether you already have a job in the accounting field in California and are thinking about starting CPA program or if you are just getting started in your educational career, there are few things you will want to look into before you begin. The page below will cover key items for all future CPA licensees as well as some items specific to the state of California that should help you as you pursue your educational goals.
California CPA Requirements – A Quick Review
The demands made on CPA applicants are going to vary from state to state and California is no exception. But before we take a closer look at California CPA requirements, let’s review standard requirements for most Accountants seeking licensure.
Professional requirements for CPA’s will typically demand:
- That all potential licensees have obtained a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- That an applicant has completed 150 semester hours of college undergraduate coursework. This is roughly 25 percent more classroom time than is typically required for completion of a degree
- That an applicant has taken the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Previous work experience is required. Generally all state accountancy boards will require previous experience in the field of accounting to have taken place before one can sit for a CPA license
Effective January 1, 2014, the State of California will require the following of all applicants seeking to be licensed as Certified Public Accountants:
- Completion of the Uniform CPA Examination
- Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree
- Completion of 150 Semester Units
- Completion of 24 Semester Units in Accounting
- Completion of 24 Semester Units in business-related subjects
- Completion of the PETH Exam (an ethics exam offered by CalCPA)
- That the applicant has been fingerprinted by the state
- Completion of one year of general accounting work experience
To read about the state of California’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail click here.
Getting Started is Easy
If you want to find more information on being a CPA in the state of California, then getting started is easy. Just use the search window at the top of this page to learn more about bookkeeping and accounting programs near you!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in California
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Management & Accounting (AAS)
- Accounting (BS)
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Certificate - Business Administration (Accounting)
- Degree - Business Administration (Accounting)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
ABCO Technology is an accredited computer training academy that offers diploma programs for individual students, professionals and companies to learn different areas of Information technology and seek gainful employment.