When you start working as a Certified Public Accountant in Colorado, chances are you will be among the better paid professionals in the state. The State of Colorado’s Labor Market Information Gateway reports that the median salary for CPA’s in Colorado was $65,600 in 2012, ranking it 11th among the 50 states. Maybe you already working in an accounting related career in Colorado and are thinking about starting CPA program. Maybe you are just beginning your studies and are thinking about what you want to do and be. Either way, there are few things you want to think about before getting started. Below we provide some information we hope you will find useful pertaining to general requirements for future CPA licensees as well as some items specific to the state of Colorado.
Colorado CPA Requirements – A Quick Review
The requirements for CPA applicants are going to vary from state to state. Before we take a more in-depth look at Colorado’s CPA requirements, we will review the fairly standard requirements for most accountants seeking licensure across the country.
Professional requirements for CPA’s will typically include:
- That all those sitting for a licensing exam have obtained a degree from a four-year university in accounting or a similar field
- That the future licensee has completed 150 semester unit of college undergraduate classes.
- That the CPA applicant has complete and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam which is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Previous work experience – For the most part, all state accountancy boards will require previous experience working as an accountant or in a similar capacity. One year or 2000 hours of actual employment is typical of this requirement
The State of Colorado requires that first time applicants who wish to obtain a CPA license from that state to have completed the following requirements:
- That the aspiring licensee has possession of a United States Social Security Number
- That the applicant completes the State of Colorado’s Affidavit of Eligibility
- That the applicant submit relevant official transcripts to Colorado’s State Board of Accountancy
Additionally, an applicant must also have completed one of the three sets of educational requirements listed at the Colorado page of the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy site.
How to Get Started
To find out more about CPA schools in Colorado, just use the search feature at the top of this page. You can also find great information on other bookkeeping and accounting careers by visiting our main page and following our sidebar links. There’s no time like now to get started on your educational goals and dreams!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Colorado
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Denver - Bachelor of Science - Accounting
- Denver - Master of Science - Accounting
- Colorado Springs - Bachelor of Science - Accounting
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Are you un-employed, under-employed or looking for a stable career where you can make a real difference? Well then, you have come to the right place.
At locally-owned and nationally accredited IBMC College, you can train for a rewarding, new career, all in as little as 6-23 months! With nearly 20 program options to choose from, at nearby campuses, you will find the path that is just the right fit for you.
- Associate-Business Administration and Accounting