Technology has changed the world of bookkeeping greatly in a very short period of time with the development of computerized accounting processes. What used to be done by hand, writing in ink on green and white paper ledgers is now accomplished with clicks and scrolls of a mouse that brought you to this page.
As these changes take hold and shape the way that businesses operate its important for those working in the field of accounting to not just understand theory, but the technologies that drive those theories as well. If you’re interested in taking a computerized accounting systems course or just want to learn a bit more, there are a few things you should know.
Why Computerized Accounting is Important to Businesses
The one constant in business is that organizations of all shapes and sizes will always look for ways to increase efficiency and productivity. There are few careers that have been impacted by the introduction of computers and accounting software than that of bookkeeping.
The days of manual entries into a paper ledger are long gone. Computerized Accounting software has changed everything. What used to take days can now be done in hours. Also, anyone employed as a bookkeeper these days will likely have a high degree of computer literacy and be well-versed in a variety of software programs.
Organizations also gain through technology in their ability to analyze and assess their business and the financial trends that impact it. The typical bookkeeper has the ability to create documents and reports that would have required an entire production team a few decades ago.
Give Yourself a Competitive Edge
The field of accounting is a competitive one and those without knowledge of computerized accounting will risk being left behind. Computers have completely altered the way companies operate. In no other area have those changes been more profound than that of a company’s finances. The days of tracking everything on paper ledgers by hand are quickly disappearing and have given way to the world of computerized accounting.
How Much Does the Field of Computerized Accounting Pay?
Those with a working knowledge of computerized accounting systems will find themselves employed in a variety of positions. Bookkeepers, payroll clerks, accounts payable and receivable clerks, just to name a few, all rely on the technological knowledge they possess and their familiarity computerized accounting software.
These positions are some of the most lucrative entry-level positions in the business world. According the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for bookkeepers and those in similar jobs in 2010 was $34,030.
How Much Does a Computerized Accounting Program Cost?
Certificate programs will vary in price depending on a number of factors. Those programs offered by vocational colleges may have a set price for an entire program while community colleges may have a program that charges by the unit and class.
Financial Aid is Available
Paying for college and certification programs can be difficult and not having the funds necessary can make it difficult to get started. Fortunately there are many federal assistance programs that can help support you financially while you pursue your educational goals.
One way to begin is by checking out the Free Application for Student Aid or FAFSA. You can also contact the financial aid office of the school you plan on attending. They may already have a number of financial aid programs in place
Over the last few years, online – or distance learning, has changed the way so many students approach their education. If your work schedule or the demands of raising a family don’t make it easy for you to attend classes at a traditional campus setting, then an online accounting program could give you just the flexibility you’re looking for.
How to Get Started
If a computerized accounting certificate program is just what you’re looking for to get a leg up on the competition, then it might be time to look for a program and get started. If you’d like more information on computerized accounting courses near you, use the search feature at the top of this page. You can also find great information on Bookkeeping Certification and Accounting Careers on our main page. Why not get started on a new career in accounting today?
Online Accounting Degrees and Classes
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Accounting for Managers
- Ph.D. in Management - Accounting
- M.B.A. in Accounting
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- BS in Accounting
- BS in Accounting - Managerial Accountancy
- And more...