Certified Public Accountants who achieve their certification in the District of Columbia will place themselves among the best-paid accounting professionals in their city. According to the District of Columbia Department of Employment Statistics the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in the District of Columbia was $81,500 in 2013. So whether you are already employed as an accounting professional in Washington D.C. and are thinking about a return to your educational plans, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program.
District of Columbia CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The licensing requirements and educational demands for Certified Public Accountants are always going to look a little different depending where you are attempting to become licensed. In this regard, the District of Columbia is no different. So while it is imperative to prepare for the criteria specific to the region in which you plan on working, there will always be some fairly typical criteria that Certified Public Accountants everywhere are expected to have achieved before they can sit for a licensing examination. These items will typically include:
- That the prospective CPA license holder has completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited university with a major in the area of accounting or a closely related concentration
- That during the completion of this degree program, the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester unites of college classes
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam, offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of one year or 2000 hours of relatable work experience in the field of accounting or while hold a similar position in a closely-related profession
The licensing authority for District of Columbia also requires that in addition to payments of all required fees, that a minimum of 27 semester hours have been completed by the license applicant in the areas of accounting and finance. Three semester hours in each of the follow areas are required:
- Commercial Business Law
- Financial Accounting
- Cost (managerial) Accounting
- Federal Income Taxes
If you would like to learn more about CPA licensing requirements for the District of Columbia, please visit the District of Columbia’s Board of Accountancy website.
Getting Started Is Easy
If you want to learn more about accredited CPA degree programs and Bookkeeping Certification programs in the District of Columbia, you can get started by using the search feature located right on this page. You can also check out a number of helpful posts and articles pertaining to bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by simply clicking through the featured posts and sidebar links located on our main page. Starting a new career in the field of accounting is just a few clicks away.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in the District of Columbia
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Accounting for Managers
- Ph.D. in Management - Accounting
- M.B.A. in Accounting
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting