Certified Public Accountants who achieve their certification in the District of Columbia will place themselves among the best-paid accounting professionals in their city. According to the District of Columbia Department of Employment Statistics the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in the District of Columbia was $81,500 in 2013. So whether you are already employed as an accounting professional in Washington D.C. and are thinking about a return to your educational plans, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program.
District of Columbia CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The licensing requirements and educational demands for Certified Public Accountants are always going to look a little different depending where you are attempting to become licensed. In this regard, the District of Columbia is no different. So while it is imperative to prepare for the criteria specific to the region in which you plan on working, there will always be some fairly typical criteria that Certified Public Accountants everywhere are expected to have achieved before they can sit for a licensing examination. These items will typically include:
- That the prospective CPA license holder has completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited university with a major in the area of accounting or a closely related concentration
- That during the completion of this degree program, the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester unites of college classes
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam, offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of one year or 2000 hours of relatable work experience in the field of accounting or while hold a similar position in a closely-related profession
The licensing authority for District of Columbia also requires that in addition to payments of all required fees, that a minimum of 27 semester hours have been completed by the license applicant in the areas of accounting and finance. Three semester hours in each of the follow areas are required:
- Commercial Business Law
- Financial Accounting
- Cost (managerial) Accounting
- Federal Income Taxes
If you would like to learn more about CPA licensing requirements for the District of Columbia, please visit the District of Columbia’s Board of Accountancy website.
Getting Started Is Easy
If you want to learn more about accredited CPA degree programs and Bookkeeping Certification programs in the District of Columbia, you can get started by using the search feature located right on this page. You can also check out a number of helpful posts and articles pertaining to bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by simply clicking through the featured posts and sidebar links located on our main page. Starting a new career in the field of accounting is just a few clicks away.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in the District of Columbia
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting