When you start working as a Certified Public Accountant in Florida, you have established yourself in a profession that will make you among the best paid professionals in the state. The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity states that the median salary for CPA’s in the state was 59,000 in 2012. For a career that anticipates growth in their ranks of 17 % in the state of Florida between 2010 and 2020, becoming a certified public accountant represents an incredible opportunity.
So whether you are already employed as an accounting professional in Florida and are thinking about enrolling in a CPA program, or if you are just beginning your studies, there are a few items that you should be aware of. We will take a look at all of this below as we review some fairly common requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as some requirements that are specific to the State of Florida.
Florida CPA Requirements – A Quick Review
The requirements for those seeking a CPA License are going to differ from state to state. There are however some fairly standard criteria that will be required of all CPA Licensees. Before we take a look at just what’s required for Florida, let’s review the standardized CPA requirements.
Standard requirements for all Certified Public Accountants regardless of their state of application will typically include:
- That all applicants for a CPA license have completed a degree program in accounting or a related field from an accredited four-year university
- That all applicants for a CPA license have completed 150 semester hours of college undergraduate coursework
- That all applicants for a CPA license have taken the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- That all applicants for a CPA license have previous work experience in the field of accounting. The majority of state accountancy boards will require a minimum of one year or 2000 hours of actual employment in an accounting-related position
The State of Florida requires that all applicants for a CPA license have met the following criteria:
- That all CPA applicants have passed the 4-part CPA exam with at least a 75% mark within an eighteen month rolling period.
- That the applicant has completed 36 semester or 54 quarter units with classes in the following areas: Taxation, Auditing, Financial, Cost/Managerial and Accounting Info Systems.
- That the applicant has completed during the course of their studies, the following upper division requirements as well: 39 semester hours or 58 quarter hours which includes the 6 semester units or 8 quarter units of Business Law.
To read about the State of Florida’s CPA Licensing requirements in greater detail you can visit the CPA requirements page at the Florida Department of Business Regulations’ website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about CPA programs in the state of Florida, just use the easy search feature located at the top of this page. You will also find information on a variety of bookkeeping and accounting careers by visiting our main page. Your future is just a click away!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Florida
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Apply knowledge of project leadership theories/practical application in organizations.
- Apply effective written communication and research skills.
- Examine management control, monitoring, and value methods.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking skills for effective analysis in decision making.
- Assess costs, risks, and benefits of total quality management.
- Analyze the implications of diversity/culture and managing projects in an international setting.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Arts in Accounting
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting
- Master of Accountancy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AS - Accounting Specialist
- BS - Private Sector Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.