Certified Public Accountants working in Hawaii are among the best compensated professionals in the state. According to the Hawaii Workforce Infonet, the median salary for Hawaii-based Certified Public Accountants was $55,300 in 2012. So whether you are already working as an accounting or bookkeeping professional in Hawaii or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, there are few items you’ll want to be sure of before you begin. In the paragraphs below, we’ll take a look at a few of these items that we hope will assist you in making the most informed decision possible.
Hawaii CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The licensing criteria for Certified Public Accountants are going to differ from state to state. So while Hawaii will have some state-specific requirements that you’ll want to pay attention to, there are some standardized requirements that are expected of CPA licensees everywhere. With regard to these standardized requirements, CPA Licensee can be expected to have adhered to the following:
- That those applying for a CPA License have completed a four-degree degree program from an accredited university in the area of accounting or a closely related major
- That all those applying for a CPA License have accrued a minimum of 150 semester units in completion of their degree
- That those wishing to sit for a CPA license have taken and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam for Certified Public Accountants. The exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Work experience. Most state accountancy boards will require that the license applicant has completed at least one year (2000 hours) of employment in the field of accounting
The State of Hawaii also requires that any CPA license applicant has fulfilled the following criteria:
- That the applicant be at least 18 years of age, and has met the minimum educational requirements at the time of application or plans to do so within 120 days of application
- That the applicant has achieved a baccalaureate degree in accounting awarded by a college or university that meets with the approval of the state accountancy board
- or a baccalaureate degree with a major in a subject other than accounting while still completing an additional 18 semester hours of upper division or graduate level accounting or auditing subjects, awarded by a college or university acceptable to the state borad of accountancy
To learn about Hawaii’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants in greater detail, visit Hawaii’s Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about Hawaii CPA programs just use the search feature at the top of this page. If you’d like to read more, you can find lots of great information on bookkeeping and accounting classes by visiting our main page and clicking through the sidebar links. An exciting new career in the field of accounting could be just a click away!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Hawaii
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Enhance organizational performance and create effective traditional and virtual teams through motivation, organizational culture, and change management.
- Address the legal and ethical implications of human resources and administration in an organizational setting.
- Analyze business policy and strategy in relationship to competitors.
- Resolve conflict by utilizing various management styles and best practices.
- Understand employment and compensation requirements including insurance, salary, labor, health, and safety.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.