Certified Public Accountants in Illinois are routinely ranked among the best paid professionals in the state. The Illinois Department of Employment Security reported that the 2012 median Salary for CPA’s in Illinois was $64,900, ranking it 12th among all 50 states.
So if you are just beginning your studies or if you are already working in an accounting related career in Illinois, there are some things you will want to be aware of before you get started on a CPA Program. Below we’ll take a look at some fairly standard professional requirements for CPA’s as well some Illinois specific requirements.
Illinois CPA Requirements – A Brief Overview
The requirements for Certified Public Accountants are always going to vary from state to state. There are however, some fairly standardized requirements that all CPA’s regardless of their state of licensing are required to meet.
These standard requirements typically include:
- That an applicant for a CPA license has finished a four-year degree from an accredited university in the field of accounting or a related field
- That an applicant for a CPA license have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework while pursuing that degree
- That an applicant for a CPA license has taken and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- That an applicant for a CPA license will have worked previously for a minimum of one year or 2000 hours in an accounting related position
The State of Illinois requires that all CPA candidates have achieved 150 semester units in pursuit of an accredited baccalaureate degree and has met ONE of the following FOUR requirements:
- The applicant has received a graduate degree with a concentration in accounting from a program that is accredited in the area of accounting by an agency recognized by the State Accountancy Board
- The applicant has received a graduate degree from a program that is accredited in business by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and also completed at least 24 semester units in accounting at the undergraduate level or 15 semester hours at the graduate level, or an equivalent combination of the two. The courses must include subjects covering the areas of financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- The applicant has earned a baccalaureate degree from a program that is accredited in business by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and has also completed 24 semester units in accounting at the undergraduate or graduate level. These courses must include the areas of financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting. The applicant must also have completed at least 24 semester hours of business courses at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- The applicant has received a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited university or other institution recognized by the State Board of Accountancy, including a minimum of 24 semester units of accounting at the undergraduate or graduate level or a combination of both levels. Also at least one course each in financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting and at least 24 units in business courses.
- The candidate for licensure must meet the state’s ethics requirement by taking and passing the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ examination course – Professional Ethics: The AICPA’s Comprehensive Course.
To read about the CPA Licensing requirements for the state of Illinois, visit the Illinois Board of Examiners page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about Illinois CPA programs just use the simple search feature located at the top of this page. You can also browse through a lot of great information on bookkeeping and accounting careers by visiting our main page. Thanks for reading and best of luck in your studies!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Illinois
- Payroll Clerk
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Accounting AAS
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting