Certified Public Accountants in Illinois are routinely ranked among the best paid professionals in the state. The Illinois Department of Employment Security reported that the 2012 median Salary for CPA’s in Illinois was $64,900, ranking it 12th among all 50 states.
So if you are just beginning your studies or if you are already working in an accounting related career in Illinois, there are some things you will want to be aware of before you get started on a CPA Program. Below we’ll take a look at some fairly standard professional requirements for CPA’s as well some Illinois specific requirements.
Illinois CPA Requirements – A Brief Overview
The requirements for Certified Public Accountants are always going to vary from state to state. There are however, some fairly standardized requirements that all CPA’s regardless of their state of licensing are required to meet.
These standard requirements typically include:
- That an applicant for a CPA license has finished a four-year degree from an accredited university in the field of accounting or a related field
- That an applicant for a CPA license have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework while pursuing that degree
- That an applicant for a CPA license has taken and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- That an applicant for a CPA license will have worked previously for a minimum of one year or 2000 hours in an accounting related position
The State of Illinois requires that all CPA candidates have achieved 150 semester units in pursuit of an accredited baccalaureate degree and has met ONE of the following FOUR requirements:
- The applicant has received a graduate degree with a concentration in accounting from a program that is accredited in the area of accounting by an agency recognized by the State Accountancy Board
- The applicant has received a graduate degree from a program that is accredited in business by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and also completed at least 24 semester units in accounting at the undergraduate level or 15 semester hours at the graduate level, or an equivalent combination of the two. The courses must include subjects covering the areas of financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- The applicant has earned a baccalaureate degree from a program that is accredited in business by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and has also completed 24 semester units in accounting at the undergraduate or graduate level. These courses must include the areas of financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting. The applicant must also have completed at least 24 semester hours of business courses at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- The applicant has received a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited university or other institution recognized by the State Board of Accountancy, including a minimum of 24 semester units of accounting at the undergraduate or graduate level or a combination of both levels. Also at least one course each in financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting and at least 24 units in business courses.
- The candidate for licensure must meet the state’s ethics requirement by taking and passing the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ examination course – Professional Ethics: The AICPA’s Comprehensive Course.
To read about the CPA Licensing requirements for the state of Illinois, visit the Illinois Board of Examiners page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about Illinois CPA programs just use the simple search feature located at the top of this page. You can also browse through a lot of great information on bookkeeping and accounting careers by visiting our main page. Thanks for reading and best of luck in your studies!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Illinois
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Accounting
- Associate of Applied Science: Accounting
- Master of Science : Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting