Certified Public Accountants working in Iowa make an extremely competitive salary. According to the Iowa Workforce Information Network the median salary for CPA’s in Iowa was $55,000 in 2012. So if you are an accounting student just beginning your academic career or are already working as an accounting or bookkeeping professional and thinking about returning to your studies, you might want to consider enrollment in a CPA program. However, before you begin there is some important information you’ll want to review. On the page below we’ll take a look at the standard criteria that needs to be met by CPA’s everywhere as well as some items that are state-specific to Iowa.
Iowa CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The criteria requirements that must be met by Certified Public Accountants seeking state licensure are going to vary from state to state. But before we review the state requirements for Iowa let’s take a look at some fairly standard items required to be met by CPA’s in all 50 states:
- Anyone that wishes to sit for a CPA licensing exam will have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year university in the area of accounting or closely related major
- That during the course of that degree program the CPA Licensee has completed at least 150 semester hours of college undergraduate coursework
- That the license applicant has taken and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This Exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- That the applicant has completed at least one year of appropriate employment in the field of accounting or in a field that is similar
The state of Iowa also requires that a CPA license applicant has met ONE of the following requirements:
- That the applicant has earned a graduate degree with a concentration in accounting from a program that is accredited by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy
- That the applicant has earned a graduate degree in business from a program that is accredited by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and: The applicant has completed at least 24 semester units in the area of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- That the applicant has earned a baccalaureate degree in business or accounting from a program that is accredited by an agency recognized by the State Board of accountancy and: The applicant has completed at least 24 semester units in the area of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- That the applicant has earned a baccalaureate or higher degree and completed the following hours from an accredited institution recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and:
- The applicant has completed at least 24 semester units in accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- The applicant has completed at least 24 semester hours in business-related courses, such as: finance, management, marketing, economics, and business law
To read in greater detail about CPA requirements for the state of Iowa, visit the CPA page at the Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about Certified Public Accountant programs and the schools that offer them in the state of Iowa, just use our simple search feature at the top of this page. You can also review what we hope you will find to be very useful information on bookkeeping and accounting careers by visiting our main page. Your future can start with just a few simple clicks!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Iowa
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Apply current theory to understand buyer behavior, define target markets, identify and evaluate market segments, and demonstrate knowledge of the marketing mix in all functional marketing areas.
- Use market research tools and procedures to estimate market potential, conduct exploratory and descriptive research, forecast demand, and communicate research findings effectively.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the technological, web-based, and global developments that are changing the scope of the marketing discipline.
- Apply current digital technologies or web-based solutions into marketing planning.
- Demonstrate analytical and critical-thinking skills with direct application to business/marketing environments.
- Determine appropriate practices and strategies for ethical marketing decision-making and behavior.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.