Certified Public Accountants working in Iowa make an extremely competitive salary. According to the Iowa Workforce Information Network the median salary for CPA’s in Iowa was $55,000 in 2012. So if you are an accounting student just beginning your academic career or are already working as an accounting or bookkeeping professional and thinking about returning to your studies, you might want to consider enrollment in a CPA program. However, before you begin there is some important information you’ll want to review. On the page below we’ll take a look at the standard criteria that needs to be met by CPA’s everywhere as well as some items that are state-specific to Iowa.
Iowa CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The criteria requirements that must be met by Certified Public Accountants seeking state licensure are going to vary from state to state. But before we review the state requirements for Iowa let’s take a look at some fairly standard items required to be met by CPA’s in all 50 states:
- Anyone that wishes to sit for a CPA licensing exam will have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year university in the area of accounting or closely related major
- That during the course of that degree program the CPA Licensee has completed at least 150 semester hours of college undergraduate coursework
- That the license applicant has taken and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This Exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- That the applicant has completed at least one year of appropriate employment in the field of accounting or in a field that is similar
The state of Iowa also requires that a CPA license applicant has met ONE of the following requirements:
- That the applicant has earned a graduate degree with a concentration in accounting from a program that is accredited by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy
- That the applicant has earned a graduate degree in business from a program that is accredited by an agency recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and: The applicant has completed at least 24 semester units in the area of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- That the applicant has earned a baccalaureate degree in business or accounting from a program that is accredited by an agency recognized by the State Board of accountancy and: The applicant has completed at least 24 semester units in the area of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- That the applicant has earned a baccalaureate or higher degree and completed the following hours from an accredited institution recognized by the State Board of Accountancy and:
- The applicant has completed at least 24 semester units in accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting
- The applicant has completed at least 24 semester hours in business-related courses, such as: finance, management, marketing, economics, and business law
To read in greater detail about CPA requirements for the state of Iowa, visit the CPA page at the Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about Certified Public Accountant programs and the schools that offer them in the state of Iowa, just use our simple search feature at the top of this page. You can also review what we hope you will find to be very useful information on bookkeeping and accounting careers by visiting our main page. Your future can start with just a few simple clicks!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Iowa
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Accounting
- A.S. in Accounting
- B.S. in Business Administration / Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!