Those that wish to sit for a Certified Public Accountant exam in the state of Maine are beginning a process that could make them among the highest paid professionals in the state. The Maine Center for Workforce Research and Information reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Maine was $55,100 in 2012. So if you are just getting started in your studies or if you are presently working in the field of accounting and considering going back to school, you might want to think about the possibility of starting a CPA degree program. Before you start any educational pursuit you’re going want to know just what you’re getting yourself in for. That’s why on this page we’ll try to organize some of the criteria you need to be aware of not just for CPA’s living in Maine but some of the CPA requirements that are typical for those seeking a license across all 50 states.
Maine CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The professional requirements that a Certified Public Accountant is expected to meet before they can take a licensing exam are going to differ from state to state. Below we’ll take a look at some of the CPA requirements that are specific to the state of Maine, but first we’ll review some fairly standard requirements expected to be met by CPA’s everywhere:
- It is generally required that all those seeking a CPA license are expected to have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting or a related field
- That during the course of those studies, the license applicant will have completed at least 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the license applicant has taken and passed the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken over a period of a year or more
- That the license applicant will have completed at least one year of full-time employment in an accounting position or one that is closely related to the field
The state of Maine also mandates that anyone who wishes to sit for a CPA licensing exam be of good moral character and:
- Will have earned at least a baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university approved by the State Board of Accountancy and will have completed at least 120 semester units during completion of that degree
- Will have completed 15 semester units in one or more of the following courses: financial accounting and reporting for business organizations, managerial or cost accounting, internal controls and risk assessment, financial statement analysis, accounting research and analysis, tax research and analysis, accounting information systems, financial accounting and reporting for government and not-for-profit entities, auditing and attestation services. taxation, or fraud examination
- At least 3 semester hours must be earned in auditing and attestation services.
To read in greater detail about Maine’s CPA requirements visit Maine’s Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation.
Getting Started Is Simple and Easy
If you want to learn more about CPA programs in the state of Maine, you can get started by using the search feature right on this page. Also make sure that you click over to our main page where you can find a lot of great information on bookkeeping and accounting classes and the schools that offer them. There’s also a lot of general information on possible career paths related to bookkeeping and accounting as well!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Maine
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Enhance organizational performance and create effective traditional and virtual teams through motivation, organizational culture, and change management.
- Address the legal and ethical implications of human resources and administration in an organizational setting.
- Analyze business policy and strategy in relationship to competitors.
- Resolve conflict by utilizing various management styles and best practices.
- Understand employment and compensation requirements including insurance, salary, labor, health, and safety.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Accounting
- Associate of Applied Science: Accounting
- Master of Science : Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.