Anyone that prepares to take a CPA exam in Maryland is initiating a process that will allow them the opportunity to join the ranks of the highest paid professionals in the state. The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Maryland was $68,700 in 2012, ranking it 8th among all 50 states. So whether you are just at the beginning of your educational path or if you are presently working in an accounting related position and considering going back to school, you might want to think about enrolling in a CPA degree program.
Remember, before you begin any educational pursuit you’re going want to know what hurdles you’ll have to clear along the way. That’s why in the paragraphs below we’ll attempt to convey some of the criteria you need to be aware of, not just as a future Certified Public Accountant living in Maryland but also what you would encounter as a potential CPA licensee anywhere in the country.
Maryland CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The professional and educational requirements that any Certified Public Accountant is expected to have met before they can sit for a CPA licensing exam are going to vary from state to state. But before we review the requirements that are specific to the state of Maryland, let’s look at what generally expected of CPA’s everywhere:
- Any accounting professional wishing to sit for CPA license are expected to have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited 4-year university with a concentration in accounting or a related field
- That the accounting professional during the course of those studies will have completed at least 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the accounting professional has taken the four part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken over a period of up to 18 months
- That the accounting professional will have completed at least one year of full-time employment (2000 hours) in their field or one that is similar
The state of Maryland will also require that anyone who wishes to apply for a CPA license has:
- Before taking the Uniform CPA Examination in the state of Maryland an applicant must complete 120 undergraduate semester hours of a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution of higher education as specified in the Maryland Public Accountancy Act
- The applicant must also have successfully completed 30 undergraduate semester hours in accounting and ethics subject matter
- Those 30 semester hours must include the following: one 3-semester credit hour course in: auditing, cost accounting or managerial accounting, U.S. Federal Income Tax and ethics
- There is also a 9 semester hour minimum credit requirement in financial accounting as well as a 9 semester minimum credits requirement in elective accounting courses
To read further and in greater detail about the criteria for CPA licensing for the state of Maryland, visit the requirements page for the Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.
Getting Started Is Simple and Easy
If you’d like to discover more about CPA degree programs in the state of Maryland, you can get started by using the simple search feature at the top of this page. Also be sure to visit our main page where you can loads of great information and articles information on bookkeeping and accounting classes and schools near you. Why not get started today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Maryland
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Apply managerial and business processes to information systems.
- Conduct systems analysis to manage complex projects.
- Design business intelligence solutions to meet organizational objectives.
- Analyze complex data to support strategic decision making
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Accounting
- Associate of Applied Science: Accounting
- Master of Science : Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting