Certified Public Accountants who become licensed and work in Michigan are some of the best compensated professionals in the state. According to the Michigan Department of Technology, Management & Budget, the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Michigan was $62,100 in 2012, ranking it #17 out of all 50 states. So whether working in an accounting related position and are considering continuing your education, or if you’re just getting started with your studies, you might want to think about enrolling in a CPA degree program. On the page below we’ll provide you with some helpful information that pertains to CPA’s everywhere as well as some items specific to CPA’s in the state of Michigan.
Michigan CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The professional requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to differ from state to state. But before we take a look at the requirements for the State of Michigan, let’s review some of the more standard requirements for Certified Public Accountants everywhere:
- CPA license applicants are typically required to have completed their undergraduate studies from an accredited 4-year institution with a degree in accounting or in a closely related concentration
- During the course of their degree program, the CPA license applicant should have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- The CPA license applicant will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is given by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- The CPA license applicant will have acquired one year (or 2000 hours)of suitable work experience in an accounting related position or one in a similar field
The state of Michigan also requires that all an individual seeking a CPA license will have completed the following educational requirements:
- That the license applicant will have completed a curriculum required for a baccalaureate degree with a concentration in accounting from an accredited institution – OR-
- That the applicant will have completed a curriculum required for a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a completion of the following subjects of study:
- 3 semester hours in Auditing, 21 semester hours in accounting including study in each of the following: Financial Accounting and Accounting Theory, Managerial Accounting, including Cost Accounting, Accounting Systems and Controls, U.S. Federal Taxation, Governmental/Fund Accounting
- And, 24 semester hours in general business subjects
To read about Michigan’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail visit the page for Michigan’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA degree programs in Michigan, just complete the search feature located at the top of this page. There is also a lot of great information on bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes over on our main page . Why not get a leg up on the competition and start working towards your new accounting career today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Michigan
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Apply knowledge of project leadership theories/practical application in organizations.
- Apply effective written communication and research skills.
- Examine management control, monitoring, and value methods.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking skills for effective analysis in decision making.
- Assess costs, risks, and benefits of total quality management.
- Analyze the implications of diversity/culture and managing projects in an international setting.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Accounting - Associate
- Accounting - MBA (Master's)
- Accounting - Bachelor