Certified Public Accountants who acquire their license in Minnesota are some of the most well paid professionals in the state. According to the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Minnesota was $59,700 in 2012. So if you are already employed in an accounting related position and are considering returning to your studies, or if you’re just getting started in your academic career, you might want to consider the possibility of enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program. In the paragraphs below we will try to provide you with some information you’ll find pertinent to your pursuits as well as some items specific to Certified Public Accountants in the state of Minnesota.
Minnesota CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The professional and educational requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to vary from state to state, and Minnesota is no exception. With that said, there are some fairly standard requirements CPA’s everywhere can expect to meet prior to licensing. Some of the more typical ones include:
- That any CPA license applicant will be required to have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited 4-year university with a major in accounting or in a closely related concentration
- That during the course of this degree program, the CPA license applicant will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college courses
- That the CPA license applicant will have taken the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and typically is taken over a period of 9 to 18 months
- That the CPA license applicant will have accrued a minimum of one year (2000 hours) of relatable work experience in an accounting related position or in a closely related role
The state of Minnesota also requires that all an individual seeking a CPA license will have met the following educational requirements prior to sitting for a state exam:
- That the applicant has achieved a bachelor’s or higher level degree that includes or is supplemented by at least 24 semester hours of accounting courses at the upper division or graduate level. This should include the coverage of, but not necessarily separate courses in financial accounting, auditing, taxation and management accounting
- That the applicant has completed during their course of their studies 24 semester hours of upper division or graduate level courses in financial accounting, auditing, taxation and management accounting
- That the applicant has completed during the course of their studies 24 semester hours in undergraduate or graduate level courses in business-related subjects or accounting
- That of the aforementioned 48 hours of required hours, no more than 6 may be from internships or life experience
To read about Minnesota’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail visit the requirements section of the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To discover more about CPA degree programs in Minnesota, just fill out the easy to use search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find a lot of helpful information on bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes on our main page . Why not get started on an exciting career in the accounting profession today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Minnesota
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Are You a Natural Leader or Good with Numbers? Get Educated in the Business Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Business Administration & Management, Accounting, Marketing Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!