Certified Public Accountants who earn their CPA license in Mississippi are some of the most highly compensated professionals in the state. The Mississippi Department of Employment Security has reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Mississippi was $52,700 in 2012. So if you are already working in an accounting related job and are contemplating a return to your studies, or if you’re just getting started in your academic career, you might want to consider the possibility of enrolling in a CPA program. On the page below we will try to provide you with some essential information pertinent to your pursuits as well as some items specific to Certified Public Accountants who seek licensing by the state of Mississippi.
Mississippi CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to differ from state to state, and Mississippi is no different in this regard. Even with these differences however, there is some fairly standard criteria CPA’s everywhere will be expected to meet prior to licensing by their given state. Some of the more typical ones include:
- That for any CPA licensee there will be an expectation of having completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a major in accounting or in a concentration that is closely related
- That during the course of this degree program, the potential licensee will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the licensee will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and typically is taken in stages over a period of up to 18 months
- That the licensee will have acquired a minimum of one year (2000 hours) of relatable work experience in an accounting position or in a professional role that is closely related
The state of Mississippi also requires that all an individual seeking a Certified Public Accountant license will have met the following educational requirements prior to sitting for a state exam:
- That the CPA license applicant has received their baccalaureate degree from an institution approved by one of the following regional accrediting agencies: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Southern Association of Schools and Colleges or the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- That the CPA license applicant has completed a minimum of 48 semester hours of accounting and business courses at the upper division or graduate level with a minimum of 24 hours directly with an accounting concentration
- That of those 24 semester hours with the accounting concentration, the CPA license applicant will have completed courses in the following subjects: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, management/cost accounting, government/not-for-profit accounting
To read more about Mississippi’s CPA licensing requirements visit the website of the Mississippi State Board of Public Accountancy.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA programs in the state of Mississippi, just use the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find lots of helpful information on bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by browsing the sidebar links on our main page . Why not get started today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Mississippi
- Payroll Clerk
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- AS in Business Administration: Bookkeeping
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting