Certified Public Accountants who earn their CPA license in Mississippi are some of the most highly compensated professionals in the state. The Mississippi Department of Employment Security has reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Mississippi was $52,700 in 2012. So if you are already working in an accounting related job and are contemplating a return to your studies, or if you’re just getting started in your academic career, you might want to consider the possibility of enrolling in a CPA program. On the page below we will try to provide you with some essential information pertinent to your pursuits as well as some items specific to Certified Public Accountants who seek licensing by the state of Mississippi.
Mississippi CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to differ from state to state, and Mississippi is no different in this regard. Even with these differences however, there is some fairly standard criteria CPA’s everywhere will be expected to meet prior to licensing by their given state. Some of the more typical ones include:
- That for any CPA licensee there will be an expectation of having completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a major in accounting or in a concentration that is closely related
- That during the course of this degree program, the potential licensee will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the licensee will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and typically is taken in stages over a period of up to 18 months
- That the licensee will have acquired a minimum of one year (2000 hours) of relatable work experience in an accounting position or in a professional role that is closely related
The state of Mississippi also requires that all an individual seeking a Certified Public Accountant license will have met the following educational requirements prior to sitting for a state exam:
- That the CPA license applicant has received their baccalaureate degree from an institution approved by one of the following regional accrediting agencies: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Southern Association of Schools and Colleges or the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- That the CPA license applicant has completed a minimum of 48 semester hours of accounting and business courses at the upper division or graduate level with a minimum of 24 hours directly with an accounting concentration
- That of those 24 semester hours with the accounting concentration, the CPA license applicant will have completed courses in the following subjects: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, management/cost accounting, government/not-for-profit accounting
To read more about Mississippi’s CPA licensing requirements visit the website of the Mississippi State Board of Public Accountancy.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA programs in the state of Mississippi, just use the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find lots of helpful information on bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by browsing the sidebar links on our main page . Why not get started today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Mississippi
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AS - Accounting Specialist
- BS - Private Sector Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.