Certified Public Accountants who earn their CPA license in Mississippi are some of the most highly compensated professionals in the state. The Mississippi Department of Employment Security has reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Mississippi was $52,700 in 2012. So if you are already working in an accounting related job and are contemplating a return to your studies, or if you’re just getting started in your academic career, you might want to consider the possibility of enrolling in a CPA program. On the page below we will try to provide you with some essential information pertinent to your pursuits as well as some items specific to Certified Public Accountants who seek licensing by the state of Mississippi.
Mississippi CPA Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to differ from state to state, and Mississippi is no different in this regard. Even with these differences however, there is some fairly standard criteria CPA’s everywhere will be expected to meet prior to licensing by their given state. Some of the more typical ones include:
- That for any CPA licensee there will be an expectation of having completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a major in accounting or in a concentration that is closely related
- That during the course of this degree program, the potential licensee will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the licensee will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and typically is taken in stages over a period of up to 18 months
- That the licensee will have acquired a minimum of one year (2000 hours) of relatable work experience in an accounting position or in a professional role that is closely related
The state of Mississippi also requires that all an individual seeking a Certified Public Accountant license will have met the following educational requirements prior to sitting for a state exam:
- That the CPA license applicant has received their baccalaureate degree from an institution approved by one of the following regional accrediting agencies: Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Southern Association of Schools and Colleges or the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- That the CPA license applicant has completed a minimum of 48 semester hours of accounting and business courses at the upper division or graduate level with a minimum of 24 hours directly with an accounting concentration
- That of those 24 semester hours with the accounting concentration, the CPA license applicant will have completed courses in the following subjects: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, management/cost accounting, government/not-for-profit accounting
To read more about Mississippi’s CPA licensing requirements visit the website of the Mississippi State Board of Public Accountancy.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA programs in the state of Mississippi, just use the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find lots of helpful information on bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by browsing the sidebar links on our main page . Why not get started today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Mississippi
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Accounting
- A.S. in Accounting
- B.S. in Business Administration / Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!