Certified Public Accountants who become licensed in New Jersey will find themselves among the most highly paid professionals working in the state. The State of New Jersey’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New Jersey was $73,200 in 2012, ranking it the 3rd highest in the country. So if you are already employed the field of accounting and are thinking about returning to your studies, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. Below we will provide you with important details about the requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA license in New Jersey.
New Jersey CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The requirements for those seeking a Certified Public Accountant license are going to differ from state to state. While it’s always a good idea to pay close attention to requirements specific to your state, there are some fairly typical criteria expected to be met by CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That the CPA license applicant will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to accounting
- That during the completion of their studies, the CPA license applicant will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college classes
- That the CPA license applicant will have taken the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of up to a year and a half
- That the CPA license applicant will have been employed a minimum of 2000 hours (one year-full time)in an accounting-related position or in a position in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of New Jersey also requires that that any CPA license applicant has met the following educational requirements:
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 60 semester hours selected from courses in English, history, foreign languages, mathematics, general psychology, philosophy, biological sciences, physical sciences, economics, sociology, religion, government, political science, geography, fine arts and music
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting including municipal and government accounting
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in business law
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in finance
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in economics
- That the applicant has completed a minimum if 18 semester hours in related business subjects
To learn more about New Jersey’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants, please visit the CPA requirements page at New Jersey’s Department of Law & Public Safety’s Division of Consumer Affairs website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA programs in New Jersey, use the search feature located on this page. You can also find out all about bookkeeping and accounting careers by following the sidebar links on our main page . Get started on your new career today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New Jersey
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Accounting
- A.S. in Accounting
- B.S. in Business Administration / Accounting
- Online degrees include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, and MBA.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Business Administration specializations include Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Master of Business Administration, and more.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.