Certified Public Accountants who become licensed in New Jersey will find themselves among the most highly paid professionals working in the state. The State of New Jersey’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New Jersey was $73,200 in 2012, ranking it the 3rd highest in the country. So if you are already employed the field of accounting and are thinking about returning to your studies, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. Below we will provide you with important details about the requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA license in New Jersey.
New Jersey CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The requirements for those seeking a Certified Public Accountant license are going to differ from state to state. While it’s always a good idea to pay close attention to requirements specific to your state, there are some fairly typical criteria expected to be met by CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That the CPA license applicant will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to accounting
- That during the completion of their studies, the CPA license applicant will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college classes
- That the CPA license applicant will have taken the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of up to a year and a half
- That the CPA license applicant will have been employed a minimum of 2000 hours (one year-full time)in an accounting-related position or in a position in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of New Jersey also requires that that any CPA license applicant has met the following educational requirements:
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 60 semester hours selected from courses in English, history, foreign languages, mathematics, general psychology, philosophy, biological sciences, physical sciences, economics, sociology, religion, government, political science, geography, fine arts and music
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting including municipal and government accounting
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in business law
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in finance
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in economics
- That the applicant has completed a minimum if 18 semester hours in related business subjects
To learn more about New Jersey’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants, please visit the CPA requirements page at New Jersey’s Department of Law & Public Safety’s Division of Consumer Affairs website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA programs in New Jersey, use the search feature located on this page. You can also find out all about bookkeeping and accounting careers by following the sidebar links on our main page . Get started on your new career today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New Jersey
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
The Berkeley Advantage®is part of a proven approach to career-focused education that can help students prepare for success.
- BS, Bus Admin-Accounting
- AAS, Bus Admin-Accounting
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.