Certified Public Accountants who become licensed in New Jersey will find themselves among the most highly paid professionals working in the state. The State of New Jersey’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New Jersey was $73,200 in 2012, ranking it the 3rd highest in the country. So if you are already employed the field of accounting and are thinking about returning to your studies, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. Below we will provide you with important details about the requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA license in New Jersey.
New Jersey CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The requirements for those seeking a Certified Public Accountant license are going to differ from state to state. While it’s always a good idea to pay close attention to requirements specific to your state, there are some fairly typical criteria expected to be met by CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That the CPA license applicant will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to accounting
- That during the completion of their studies, the CPA license applicant will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college classes
- That the CPA license applicant will have taken the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of up to a year and a half
- That the CPA license applicant will have been employed a minimum of 2000 hours (one year-full time)in an accounting-related position or in a position in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of New Jersey also requires that that any CPA license applicant has met the following educational requirements:
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 60 semester hours selected from courses in English, history, foreign languages, mathematics, general psychology, philosophy, biological sciences, physical sciences, economics, sociology, religion, government, political science, geography, fine arts and music
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting including municipal and government accounting
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in business law
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in finance
- That the applicant has completed a minimum of 6 semester hours in economics
- That the applicant has completed a minimum if 18 semester hours in related business subjects
To learn more about New Jersey’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants, please visit the CPA requirements page at New Jersey’s Department of Law & Public Safety’s Division of Consumer Affairs website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA programs in New Jersey, use the search feature located on this page. You can also find out all about bookkeeping and accounting careers by following the sidebar links on our main page . Get started on your new career today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New Jersey
The Berkeley Advantage®is preparing students for professional and personal successt. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- BS, Accounting
- BS, Bus Admin-Accounting
- BBA, Accounting
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Are You a Natural Leader or Good with Numbers? Get Educated in the Business Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Business Administration & Management, Accounting, Marketing Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!