Certified Public Accountants who become licensed to practice in New Mexico will find themselves among the best paid accounting professionals in the state. The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions Economic Research and Analysis Bureau reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New Mexico was $55,000 in 2012. So if you are working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about going back to school, or if you’re simply at the beginning of your academic career, you might want to think about enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program. Below we will provide you with some need-to-know details about the requirements for Certified Public Accountants everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA certification in New Mexico.
New Mexico CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The requirements for those seeking a Certified Public Accountant license are going to differ from state to state. While it’s always a good idea to adhere primarily to the requirements specific to your state during your exam prep, there are some requirements that are fairly typical of those to be met by CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That the CPA license applicant will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited university with a major in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of this degree program, the CPA license applicant will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college classes
- That the CPA license applicant will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of up to 18 months
- That the CPA license applicant will have been employed a minimum of one year-full time (2000 hours) in a position in the field of accounting or in a position in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of New Mexico also requires that all CPA license applicants can meet the following requirements:
- That the applicant is of good moral character
- That the applicant is at least 18 years of age
- That the CPA license applicant does possess at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited academic institution, of which at least 30 hours must be in accounting and that no more than three of those hours are in the area of business law
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA degree programs in New Mexico, simply use the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also learn all about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by following the sidebar links on our main page . Get started on your new career and get an edge on the competition!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New Mexico
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Apply knowledge of project leadership theories/practical application in organizations.
- Apply effective written communication and research skills.
- Examine management control, monitoring, and value methods.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking skills for effective analysis in decision making.
- Assess costs, risks, and benefits of total quality management.
- Analyze the implications of diversity/culture and managing projects in an international setting.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Business Management- Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.