Certified Public Accountants who acquire a certification in New York will find themselves among the best paid accounting professionals in the state. The Department of Labor for the State of New York reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New York was $75,600 in 2012, ranking it 2nd in the United Sates. So if you are working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about going back to school, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. On the page below we will provide you with some need-to-know details about requirements for Certified Public Accountants everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA license in New York.
New York CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational and professional requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to vary from state to state. So while it’s always a good idea to pay close attention to the requirements specific to your state during your exam preparation, you can count on there being some fairly standard requirements for CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That potential CPA license holder will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a major in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of that program, the potential CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the potential CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of 6 to 18 months
- That the potential CPA license holder will have been employed a minimum of one year-full time in an accounting related job or in a position that is closely related to an accounting job
The state of New York also requires that all CPA license applicants can meet the requirements detailed in one of the following options:
- Option 1: That the potential CPA license holder has earned a bachelor’s or higher degree, with 120 semester units including, which will include the following: 24 units in accounting, 21 semester units in business and accounting electives, and a minimum of 60 semester units in liberal arts and sciences
- Option 2: That the potential CPA license holder has earned a bachelor’s or higher degree, with 150 semester units, which will include the following: 33 semester units in accounting (financial accounting theory and principles, managerial accounting, and others), 36 semester units in general business electives, and a minimum of 60 semester units in liberal arts and sciences
To learn more about New York’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants, please visit the CPA requirements section at New York State Office of the Professions page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA programs in New York, you can get started by using the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find out more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by browsing through the links on our main page . Get started on your new career in accounting today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New York
- Payroll Clerk
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
The Berkeley Advantage®is preparing students for professional and personal successt. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- BS, Accounting
- BBA, Accounting
- AAS, Bus Admin-Accounting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Associate-Business Administration with Small Business Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- BBA Accounting
- AAS Accounting