Certified Public Accountants who acquire a certification in New York will find themselves among the best paid accounting professionals in the state. The Department of Labor for the State of New York reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New York was $75,600 in 2012, ranking it 2nd in the United Sates. So if you are working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about going back to school, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. On the page below we will provide you with some need-to-know details about requirements for Certified Public Accountants everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA license in New York.
New York CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational and professional requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to vary from state to state. So while it’s always a good idea to pay close attention to the requirements specific to your state during your exam preparation, you can count on there being some fairly standard requirements for CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That potential CPA license holder will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a major in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of that program, the potential CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the potential CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of 6 to 18 months
- That the potential CPA license holder will have been employed a minimum of one year-full time in an accounting related job or in a position that is closely related to an accounting job
The state of New York also requires that all CPA license applicants can meet the requirements detailed in one of the following options:
- Option 1: That the potential CPA license holder has earned a bachelor’s or higher degree, with 120 semester units including, which will include the following: 24 units in accounting, 21 semester units in business and accounting electives, and a minimum of 60 semester units in liberal arts and sciences
- Option 2: That the potential CPA license holder has earned a bachelor’s or higher degree, with 150 semester units, which will include the following: 33 semester units in accounting (financial accounting theory and principles, managerial accounting, and others), 36 semester units in general business electives, and a minimum of 60 semester units in liberal arts and sciences
To learn more about New York’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants, please visit the CPA requirements section at New York State Office of the Professions page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA programs in New York, you can get started by using the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find out more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by browsing through the links on our main page . Get started on your new career in accounting today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New York
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Accounting
- A.S. in Accounting
- B.S. in Business Administration / Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) 100% online
- Learn business and leadership skills through case studies and intensive projects, culminating in a capstone course
- Program designed to teach students key concepts in accounting, financial services, and marketing
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
About the College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW's academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College's technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
- AAS - Accounting
- Intensive Accounting/Computer Applications
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Accounting Systems Specialist - CERT