Certified Public Accountants who acquire a certification in New York will find themselves among the best paid accounting professionals in the state. The Department of Labor for the State of New York reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in New York was $75,600 in 2012, ranking it 2nd in the United Sates. So if you are working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about going back to school, or if you’re just getting started on your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. On the page below we will provide you with some need-to-know details about requirements for Certified Public Accountants everywhere as well as items specific to those seeking a CPA license in New York.
New York CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational and professional requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to vary from state to state. So while it’s always a good idea to pay close attention to the requirements specific to your state during your exam preparation, you can count on there being some fairly standard requirements for CPA license applicants everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That potential CPA license holder will have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a major in accounting or in a field of study that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of that program, the potential CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the potential CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of 6 to 18 months
- That the potential CPA license holder will have been employed a minimum of one year-full time in an accounting related job or in a position that is closely related to an accounting job
The state of New York also requires that all CPA license applicants can meet the requirements detailed in one of the following options:
- Option 1: That the potential CPA license holder has earned a bachelor’s or higher degree, with 120 semester units including, which will include the following: 24 units in accounting, 21 semester units in business and accounting electives, and a minimum of 60 semester units in liberal arts and sciences
- Option 2: That the potential CPA license holder has earned a bachelor’s or higher degree, with 150 semester units, which will include the following: 33 semester units in accounting (financial accounting theory and principles, managerial accounting, and others), 36 semester units in general business electives, and a minimum of 60 semester units in liberal arts and sciences
To learn more about New York’s requirements for Certified Public Accountants, please visit the CPA requirements section at New York State Office of the Professions page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about accredited CPA programs in New York, you can get started by using the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find out more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by browsing through the links on our main page . Get started on your new career in accounting today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in New York
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Apply current theory to understand buyer behavior, define target markets, identify and evaluate market segments, and demonstrate knowledge of the marketing mix in all functional marketing areas.
- Use market research tools and procedures to estimate market potential, conduct exploratory and descriptive research, forecast demand, and communicate research findings effectively.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the technological, web-based, and global developments that are changing the scope of the marketing discipline.
- Apply current digital technologies or web-based solutions into marketing planning.
- Demonstrate analytical and critical-thinking skills with direct application to business/marketing environments.
- Determine appropriate practices and strategies for ethical marketing decision-making and behavior.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Accounting Systems Specialist - CERT
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Business Administration/Accounting
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Accounting - Associate
- Accounting - MBA (Master's)
- Accounting - Bachelor