Certified Public Accountants who acquire a certification in North Carolina will find themselves among the most highly compensated accounting professionals in the state. According to North Carolina’s Department of Commerce’s Labor and Analysis page the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in North Carolina was $60,900 in 2012. So if you are working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about returning to your studies, or if you’re just at the beginning of your academic career, you might want to consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program. In the paragraphs below we will provide you with need-to-know details about the requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as details specific to applicants seeking a CPA license in North Carolina.
North Carolina CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational and professional requirements for CPA’s are going to differ from state to state. So while it’s always a great idea to pay close attention to the requirements specific to your state during your studies, you can rest assured that there will be some fairly standard requirements for prospective CPA license holders everywhere. These requirements will usually include:
- That CPA license applicant will have completed a degree program from an accredited 4-year university with a concentration in accounting or in a concentration that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of this degree program, the CPA license applicant will have completed a minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework
- That the CPA license applicant will have taken the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken over a period of up to 18 months
- That the CPA license applicant will have been employed for a minimum of one year in an accounting related job or in a position in a similar field of endeavor
The state of North Carolina also requires:
- That any potential CPA license holder is a citizen of the United States, have declared the intention of becoming a citizen, or be a resident alien
- That any potential CPA license holder must be at least 18 years old and be of good moral character
- That any potential CPA license holder must also have attained a bachelor’s degree from a university that is accredited by one of the regionally accredited associations in any subject that includes, or is supplemented by, 30 semester hours in accounting
To learn more about North Carolina’s CPA requirements visit North Carolina’s State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To find out more about CPA degree programs in North Carolina, you can quickly find information on schools and programs by using the search feature located at the top of this page. You can also find out more about bookkeeping and accounting careers by clicking over to our main page . Get an edge on the competition in today’s competitive job market and get started on your degree in accounting today!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in North Carolina
- Payroll Clerk
- Online degrees include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, and MBA.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Business Administration specializations include Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Accounting
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Accounting Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Accounting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting