Certified Public Accountants who become licensed in Ohio will place themselves among the highest paid accounting professionals in the state. According to Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services’ Labor Market Information page the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in the state of Ohio was $59,600 in 2012, ranking it 24th in the United States. So if you are already working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about returning to your studies, or if you’re just getting started in your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. In the paragraphs below we will provide you with key information about requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as some details specific to applicants seeking a CPA license in Ohio.
Ohio CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational and professional requirements for CPA’s are going to differ from state to state and region to region. While it’s always a good idea to prepare to meet the requirements specific to your state, you will be glad to learn that the requirements for prospective CPAs everywhere are fairly standard. These requirements will typically include:
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a degree program from an accredited university with a major in accounting or in a concentration that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of their studies, the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 units of college coursework
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of up to 1.5 years
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have been employed for a minimum of one year (2000 hours) in a position in the field of accounting or in a position that is similar or in a closely related field of endeavor
The state of Ohio also requires that all prospective CPA License holders be of good moral character and at least 18 years of age and meet at least ONE of the following FOUR requirements:
- Received a graduate degree in the field of accounting from an institution recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB
- Received a graduate degree in business from an institution recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB with a minimum of 30 semester units in accounting at the undergraduate level or 18 semester units of accounting at the graduate level with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, management accounting, auditing with coverage of GAAS, taxation, and professional ethics
- Received a undergraduate degree from a university recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB or recognized by the board with 30 semester units of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, management accounting, auditing with coverage of GAAS, taxation, and professional ethics and responsibilities, and a minimum of 24 semester hours in business related courses
- In equivalence to the completion of 150 semester units of general college education, a minimum score of 620 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), the earning of a baccalaureate degree from a university recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB or recognized by the board with 30 semester units of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, management accounting, auditing with coverage of GAAS, taxation, and professional ethics and responsibilities, and a minimum of 24 semester hours in business related courses
To learn more about Ohio’s CPA requirements visit the Accountancy Board of Ohio’s CPA Requirements page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA degree programs in Ohio, you can find information on schools and classes by using the search feature located on this page. You can also learn more about bookkeeping and accounting careers on our main page and following the sidebar links. Why not get started on an accounting career today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Ohio
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Business Administration/Accounting
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Accounting - Associate
- Accounting - MBA (Master's)
- Accounting - Bachelor