Certified Public Accountants who become licensed in Ohio will place themselves among the highest paid accounting professionals in the state. According to Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services’ Labor Market Information page the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in the state of Ohio was $59,600 in 2012, ranking it 24th in the United States. So if you are already working in the field of accounting and you are thinking about returning to your studies, or if you’re just getting started in your academic career, you might want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA program. In the paragraphs below we will provide you with key information about requirements for CPA’s everywhere as well as some details specific to applicants seeking a CPA license in Ohio.
Ohio CPA Licensing Requirements – A Closer Look
The educational and professional requirements for CPA’s are going to differ from state to state and region to region. While it’s always a good idea to prepare to meet the requirements specific to your state, you will be glad to learn that the requirements for prospective CPAs everywhere are fairly standard. These requirements will typically include:
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a degree program from an accredited university with a major in accounting or in a concentration that is closely related to that of accounting
- That during the completion of their studies, the prospective CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 units of college coursework
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is administered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is typically taken over a period of up to 1.5 years
- That the prospective CPA license holder will have been employed for a minimum of one year (2000 hours) in a position in the field of accounting or in a position that is similar or in a closely related field of endeavor
The state of Ohio also requires that all prospective CPA License holders be of good moral character and at least 18 years of age and meet at least ONE of the following FOUR requirements:
- Received a graduate degree in the field of accounting from an institution recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB
- Received a graduate degree in business from an institution recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB with a minimum of 30 semester units in accounting at the undergraduate level or 18 semester units of accounting at the graduate level with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, management accounting, auditing with coverage of GAAS, taxation, and professional ethics
- Received a undergraduate degree from a university recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB or recognized by the board with 30 semester units of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, management accounting, auditing with coverage of GAAS, taxation, and professional ethics and responsibilities, and a minimum of 24 semester hours in business related courses
- In equivalence to the completion of 150 semester units of general college education, a minimum score of 620 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), the earning of a baccalaureate degree from a university recognized by CHEA or accredited by AACSB or recognized by the board with 30 semester units of accounting with at least one course in each of the following: financial accounting, management accounting, auditing with coverage of GAAS, taxation, and professional ethics and responsibilities, and a minimum of 24 semester hours in business related courses
To learn more about Ohio’s CPA requirements visit the Accountancy Board of Ohio’s CPA Requirements page.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA degree programs in Ohio, you can find information on schools and classes by using the search feature located on this page. You can also learn more about bookkeeping and accounting careers on our main page and following the sidebar links. Why not get started on an accounting career today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Ohio
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Accounting
- A.S. in Accounting
- B.S. in Business Administration / Accounting
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!