According to the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Alaska was $68,000 in 2012 ranking it 9th among all 50 states. Whether you are working as a bookkeeper or in a related field in Alaska and are thinking about becoming a CPA or just getting started on your academic career, there are few things you’ll want to look at before getting started. This page will provide you with a brief summary of need to know items about professional and Alaska state specific CPA requirements.
Alaska CPA Requirements – What You Should Know Before Getting Started
Certified Public Accountant requirements will differ from state to state, but there will be some standardized requirements you can count on. This means that Alaska like all other states will have a combination of professional and state-specific requirements that need to be adhered to before CPA licensing can occur.
Professional requirements for CPA’s often include:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. This is just for licensing by a state’s board of accountancy. Many employers are will be looking for a CPA to have completed master’s level work in school
- A minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework, or 30 more than typical 4 year degree programs
- Work experience! A good number of state accountancy boards will require previous field-related experience before an applicant can sit for a state CPA Licensing Exam
- Passing the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken by applicants over a period of more than a year
The State of Alaska requires that all applicants of a CPA license:
- Be at least 19 years of age and of good moral character
- Completed bachelor’s degree with a concentration in accounting or qualifying experience
- Submit transcripts from the school which they completed their degree to the state board of accountancy for verification
- Pay both an application and examination fee
To read all of Alaska’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail you can visit Alaska’s page at the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy or NASBA.
How to Get Started
If you’re interested in learning more about accounting careers and bookkeeping related education paths in Alaska, getting started is easy. Just use the search feature at the top of this page to find bookkeeping and accounting schools near you.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Alaska
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Accounting
- A.S. in Accounting
- B.S. in Business Administration / Accounting
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!