According to the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Alaska was $68,000 in 2012 ranking it 9th among all 50 states. Whether you are working as a bookkeeper or in a related field in Alaska and are thinking about becoming a CPA or just getting started on your academic career, there are few things you’ll want to look at before getting started. This page will provide you with a brief summary of need to know items about professional and Alaska state specific CPA requirements.
Alaska CPA Requirements – What You Should Know Before Getting Started
Certified Public Accountant requirements will differ from state to state, but there will be some standardized requirements you can count on. This means that Alaska like all other states will have a combination of professional and state-specific requirements that need to be adhered to before CPA licensing can occur.
Professional requirements for CPA’s often include:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. This is just for licensing by a state’s board of accountancy. Many employers are will be looking for a CPA to have completed master’s level work in school
- A minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework, or 30 more than typical 4 year degree programs
- Work experience! A good number of state accountancy boards will require previous field-related experience before an applicant can sit for a state CPA Licensing Exam
- Passing the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken by applicants over a period of more than a year
The State of Alaska requires that all applicants of a CPA license:
- Be at least 19 years of age and of good moral character
- Completed bachelor’s degree with a concentration in accounting or qualifying experience
- Submit transcripts from the school which they completed their degree to the state board of accountancy for verification
- Pay both an application and examination fee
To read all of Alaska’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail you can visit Alaska’s page at the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy or NASBA.
How to Get Started
If you’re interested in learning more about accounting careers and bookkeeping related education paths in Alaska, getting started is easy. Just use the search feature at the top of this page to find bookkeeping and accounting schools near you.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Alaska
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.