According to the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Alaska was $68,000 in 2012 ranking it 9th among all 50 states. Whether you are working as a bookkeeper or in a related field in Alaska and are thinking about becoming a CPA or just getting started on your academic career, there are few things you’ll want to look at before getting started. This page will provide you with a brief summary of need to know items about professional and Alaska state specific CPA requirements.
Alaska CPA Requirements – What You Should Know Before Getting Started
Certified Public Accountant requirements will differ from state to state, but there will be some standardized requirements you can count on. This means that Alaska like all other states will have a combination of professional and state-specific requirements that need to be adhered to before CPA licensing can occur.
Professional requirements for CPA’s often include:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. This is just for licensing by a state’s board of accountancy. Many employers are will be looking for a CPA to have completed master’s level work in school
- A minimum of 150 semester units of college coursework, or 30 more than typical 4 year degree programs
- Work experience! A good number of state accountancy boards will require previous field-related experience before an applicant can sit for a state CPA Licensing Exam
- Passing the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken by applicants over a period of more than a year
The State of Alaska requires that all applicants of a CPA license:
- Be at least 19 years of age and of good moral character
- Completed bachelor’s degree with a concentration in accounting or qualifying experience
- Submit transcripts from the school which they completed their degree to the state board of accountancy for verification
- Pay both an application and examination fee
To read all of Alaska’s CPA licensing requirements in greater detail you can visit Alaska’s page at the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy or NASBA.
How to Get Started
If you’re interested in learning more about accounting careers and bookkeeping related education paths in Alaska, getting started is easy. Just use the search feature at the top of this page to find bookkeeping and accounting schools near you.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Alaska
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
- Apply knowledge of project leadership theories/practical application in organizations.
- Apply effective written communication and research skills.
- Examine management control, monitoring, and value methods.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking skills for effective analysis in decision making.
- Assess costs, risks, and benefits of total quality management.
- Analyze the implications of diversity/culture and managing projects in an international setting.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Accounting - Associate
- Accounting - MBA (Master's)
- Accounting - Bachelor