Certified Public Accountants who get their certification in Tennessee will allow themselves the opportunity to be counted among the highest paid accounting professionals in the state. The state of Tennessee reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Tennessee was $56,400 in 2012. So whether you are currently working in the accounting field and are considering a return to your studies, or if you’re just beginning your academic career, you should definitely consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program.
Tennessee CPA Licensing Requirements – An Inside Look
The requirements for the applicants of a certification as a public accountant are going to differ from state to state. While applicants can safely assume that it’s a good idea to pay close attention to requirements specific to their own state, it’s also fair to conclude that there will be some fairly standardized items that will be expected to be met by CPA applicants everywhere. These requirements will typically include:
- That the future CPA license holder will have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting
- That during the completion of this degree program, the future CPA license holder will have acquired a minimum of 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the future CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken over a period of 12 to 18 months
- That the future CPA license holder will have worked for a minimum of 2000 hours year in a position in the field of accounting or in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of Tennessee also requires that the following education requirements have been met:
- That all CPA license candidates have obtained 150 semester hours of education and must earn a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. This must include 30 semester hours in accounting (24 of which must be in upper division courses) and 24 semester hours in business courses (12 of which must be in upper division courses)
- The that CPA license candidate must then pass the Uniform CPA Examination, pass an ethics examination given by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) with a score of 90% or better, and complete one year of experience in accounting acceptable to the Board
The state of Tennessee also requires that the following experience requirements have been met:
- That the applicant be employed in industry, government, academia or public practice
- That no fewer than 2000 hours of experience earned in no less than one year or more than three years of experience must have been accrued within the ten years immediately preceding the application for certification
- That the licensees who wish to sign reports on financial statements on behalf of a firm must provide two years of experience in the last ten years in compilations, reviews, and audits
To discover more about Tennessee’s requirements for prospective CPAs, please visit the board of accountancy page at Tennessee’s Department of Commerce and Insurance website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about accredited CPA certification programs in Tennessee and the schools that offer them, you can get started by using the search feature located on this page. You can also discover a great deal more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by clicking through the featured posts and links over on our main page . Why not get started on your new career in the field of accounting today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Tennessee
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Accounting for Managers
- Ph.D. in Management - Accounting
- M.B.A. in Accounting
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Accounting
- MBA - Accounting
- DBA in Accounting
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...