Certified Public Accountants who get their certification in Tennessee will allow themselves the opportunity to be counted among the highest paid accounting professionals in the state. The state of Tennessee reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Tennessee was $56,400 in 2012. So whether you are currently working in the accounting field and are considering a return to your studies, or if you’re just beginning your academic career, you should definitely consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program.
Tennessee CPA Licensing Requirements – An Inside Look
The requirements for the applicants of a certification as a public accountant are going to differ from state to state. While applicants can safely assume that it’s a good idea to pay close attention to requirements specific to their own state, it’s also fair to conclude that there will be some fairly standardized items that will be expected to be met by CPA applicants everywhere. These requirements will typically include:
- That the future CPA license holder will have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting
- That during the completion of this degree program, the future CPA license holder will have acquired a minimum of 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the future CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken over a period of 12 to 18 months
- That the future CPA license holder will have worked for a minimum of 2000 hours year in a position in the field of accounting or in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of Tennessee also requires that the following education requirements have been met:
- That all CPA license candidates have obtained 150 semester hours of education and must earn a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. This must include 30 semester hours in accounting (24 of which must be in upper division courses) and 24 semester hours in business courses (12 of which must be in upper division courses)
- The that CPA license candidate must then pass the Uniform CPA Examination, pass an ethics examination given by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) with a score of 90% or better, and complete one year of experience in accounting acceptable to the Board
The state of Tennessee also requires that the following experience requirements have been met:
- That the applicant be employed in industry, government, academia or public practice
- That no fewer than 2000 hours of experience earned in no less than one year or more than three years of experience must have been accrued within the ten years immediately preceding the application for certification
- That the licensees who wish to sign reports on financial statements on behalf of a firm must provide two years of experience in the last ten years in compilations, reviews, and audits
To discover more about Tennessee’s requirements for prospective CPAs, please visit the board of accountancy page at Tennessee’s Department of Commerce and Insurance website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about accredited CPA certification programs in Tennessee and the schools that offer them, you can get started by using the search feature located on this page. You can also discover a great deal more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by clicking through the featured posts and links over on our main page . Why not get started on your new career in the field of accounting today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Tennessee
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Accounting
- AAS Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Admin w/Con Accounting
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)