Certified Public Accountants who get their certification in Tennessee will allow themselves the opportunity to be counted among the highest paid accounting professionals in the state. The state of Tennessee reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Tennessee was $56,400 in 2012. So whether you are currently working in the accounting field and are considering a return to your studies, or if you’re just beginning your academic career, you should definitely consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program.
Tennessee CPA Licensing Requirements – An Inside Look
The requirements for the applicants of a certification as a public accountant are going to differ from state to state. While applicants can safely assume that it’s a good idea to pay close attention to requirements specific to their own state, it’s also fair to conclude that there will be some fairly standardized items that will be expected to be met by CPA applicants everywhere. These requirements will typically include:
- That the future CPA license holder will have completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a concentration in accounting
- That during the completion of this degree program, the future CPA license holder will have acquired a minimum of 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the future CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and is usually taken over a period of 12 to 18 months
- That the future CPA license holder will have worked for a minimum of 2000 hours year in a position in the field of accounting or in a field that is closely related to that of accounting
The state of Tennessee also requires that the following education requirements have been met:
- That all CPA license candidates have obtained 150 semester hours of education and must earn a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. This must include 30 semester hours in accounting (24 of which must be in upper division courses) and 24 semester hours in business courses (12 of which must be in upper division courses)
- The that CPA license candidate must then pass the Uniform CPA Examination, pass an ethics examination given by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) with a score of 90% or better, and complete one year of experience in accounting acceptable to the Board
The state of Tennessee also requires that the following experience requirements have been met:
- That the applicant be employed in industry, government, academia or public practice
- That no fewer than 2000 hours of experience earned in no less than one year or more than three years of experience must have been accrued within the ten years immediately preceding the application for certification
- That the licensees who wish to sign reports on financial statements on behalf of a firm must provide two years of experience in the last ten years in compilations, reviews, and audits
To discover more about Tennessee’s requirements for prospective CPAs, please visit the board of accountancy page at Tennessee’s Department of Commerce and Insurance website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about accredited CPA certification programs in Tennessee and the schools that offer them, you can get started by using the search feature located on this page. You can also discover a great deal more about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by clicking through the featured posts and links over on our main page . Why not get started on your new career in the field of accounting today?
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Tennessee
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Admin w/Con Accounting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)