Certified Public Accountants who acquire their license in Texas will find themselves on their way to being among the highest paid accounting professionals in the state. The state of Texas’ Labor Market & Career Information Department website reported that the median salary for certified public accountants in the state of Texas was $63,200 in 2012. So whether you are currently working in the accounting field and are considering a return to your studies, or if you’re just beginning your academic career, you should definitely consider enrolling in an accredited CPA degree program.
Texas CPA Licensing Requirements – An Inside Look
The educational requirements for Certified Public Accountants are going to differ from state to state, and Texas is no different in this regard. Even with these differences however, there is some fairly standard criteria that CPA’s everywhere will be expected to meet prior to sitting for a certification exam. This will typically include:
- That for any CPA licensee there will be an expectation of having completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in the area of accounting
- That during the course of this degree program, the potential licensee will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the potential licensee will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and typically is taken in stages over a period of 12 to 18 months
- That the potential licensee will have completed a minimum of one year of relatable work experience in the field of accounting or in a profession that is closely related
The state of Texas also requires:
- That the license candidate be of good moral character
- That the license applicant has completed a baccalaureate or higher degree from a board-recognized college or university
- That the license applicant has completed a minimum of 150 semester hours or quarter hour equivalents of college coursework
- That the license applicant has completed a minimum of 30 semester hours or quarter hour equivalents of upper level accounting courses from a board recognized college or university, a minimum of which 15 semester hours or quarter hour equivalents must be in traditional face-to-face courses. Also that within this requirement, that the coursework include two semester hours of accounting or tax research and analysis
- That the license applicant has completed a minimum of 24 semester hours or quarter hour equivalents of upper level related business courses and that within the coursework, a minimum of two-semester hours of accounting or business communications has been completed
- That the license applicant has completed a three semester hour board approved ethics course
To discover more about Texas’ requirements for prospective CPAs, please visit the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To learn more about CPA degree programs in Texas you can get started by using the search feature located on this page. You will also find lots of great information about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by clicking through the featured posts and links over on our main page. There’s no better time than right now to get started on your new career in the field of accounting.
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Texas
- Payroll Clerk
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Accounting (BS) (Online)
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
- Business Accounting Specialist