Certified Public Accountants who complete their certification in Virginia will soon find themselves among the best-paid accounting professionals in the state. The Virginia Department of Labor Market Information reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Virginia was $71,100 in 2013. So whether you are currently working as an accounting professional in the state Virginia and are contemplating a return to your studies, or if you’re just at the start of your educational career, you will definitely want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA degree program.
Virginia CPA Licensing Requirements – An Inside Look
The certification requirements and demands for Certified Public Accountants are going to vary to some degree from state to state, and this is true of Virginia as well. While you should always prepare for the criteria specific to your planned state and region of employment, there is some fairly standard criteria that Certified Public Accountants everywhere will be expected to have completed prior to sitting for a certification exam. These items will typically include:
- That all future CPA license holders will be expected to have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in the area of accounting
- That during the course of this degree program, the future CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the future CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- That the future CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of one year of relatable work experience in the field of accounting or in a profession that is close in relation to that of accounting
The state of Virginia also requires that:
- That the applicant has completed at least 120 semester hours of education that has resulted in the achieving of a baccalaureate or higher degree with an accounting concentration or equivalent
- Also that the applicant has completed a minimum of 24 semester hours of accounting courses, to include: courses in auditing, financial accounting, management accounting, and taxation as well as a minimum of 24 semester hours of business courses. As many as 6 hours of accounting courses may be considered for the business course requirement
To learn more about CPA licensing requirements for the state of Virginia, please visit the state’s Board of Accountancy website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To discover more about accredited Certified Public Accountant and Bookkeeping programs in the state of Virginia you can get started by using the search feature at the top of this page. You can also read through an assortment of great information about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by clicking through the featured posts as well as our sidebar links located the main page. A new career in the field of accounting is waiting for you and is just a few clicks away!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Virginia
- Payroll Clerk
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- BS in Accounting - Managerial Accountancy
- MS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Accounting