Certified Public Accountants who complete their certification in Virginia will soon find themselves among the best-paid accounting professionals in the state. The Virginia Department of Labor Market Information reported that the median salary for Certified Public Accountants in Virginia was $71,100 in 2013. So whether you are currently working as an accounting professional in the state Virginia and are contemplating a return to your studies, or if you’re just at the start of your educational career, you will definitely want to consider enrollment in an accredited CPA degree program.
Virginia CPA Licensing Requirements – An Inside Look
The certification requirements and demands for Certified Public Accountants are going to vary to some degree from state to state, and this is true of Virginia as well. While you should always prepare for the criteria specific to your planned state and region of employment, there is some fairly standard criteria that Certified Public Accountants everywhere will be expected to have completed prior to sitting for a certification exam. These items will typically include:
- That all future CPA license holders will be expected to have completed an undergraduate degree program from an accredited institution with a concentration in the area of accounting
- That during the course of this degree program, the future CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of 150 semester hours of college coursework
- That the future CPA license holder will have taken and passed the four-part Uniform CPA Exam. This exam is offered by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- That the future CPA license holder will have completed a minimum of one year of relatable work experience in the field of accounting or in a profession that is close in relation to that of accounting
The state of Virginia also requires that:
- That the applicant has completed at least 120 semester hours of education that has resulted in the achieving of a baccalaureate or higher degree with an accounting concentration or equivalent
- Also that the applicant has completed a minimum of 24 semester hours of accounting courses, to include: courses in auditing, financial accounting, management accounting, and taxation as well as a minimum of 24 semester hours of business courses. As many as 6 hours of accounting courses may be considered for the business course requirement
To learn more about CPA licensing requirements for the state of Virginia, please visit the state’s Board of Accountancy website.
Getting Started Is Easy
To discover more about accredited Certified Public Accountant and Bookkeeping programs in the state of Virginia you can get started by using the search feature at the top of this page. You can also read through an assortment of great information about bookkeeping and accounting careers and classes by clicking through the featured posts as well as our sidebar links located the main page. A new career in the field of accounting is waiting for you and is just a few clicks away!
CPA and Bookkeeping Certification in Virginia
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- AAS in Accounting
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MA Accountancy - Audit
- MA Accountancy - Accounting
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Accounting (BS to MS)
- Accounting (MS)